The story of AT&T goes back to the invention of telephone in 1877. Alexander Graham Bell acquired the patent for telephone. In 1885, the company came into existence as the American Telephone and Telegraph Company. The company has its headquarters at Dallas, Texas, and was previously known as Southwestern Bell Corporation. It is the leading telecommunications service provider.
The mission of AT&T is using technical innovations for the benefit of AT&T and its customers with the help of right implementation of the next-generation technologies and network advancements in AT&T’s services and operations.
Enriching our customers’ personal lives and making their businesses more successful by bringing to market exciting and useful communications services, building value in the process.
- Think Big
- Live True
- Be There
- Pursue Excellence
- Embrace Freedom
- Stand for Equality
- Inspire Imagination
The Success Journey:
- In 1893, Bell’s patent on the telephone expired
- In 1899, American Telephone and Telegraph company bought assets of American Bell
- In 1925 AT&T created a new unit called the Bell Telephone Laboratories
- In the year 1968, the Federal Communications Commission allowed other devices to be connected to AT&T
- In 1982, US regulators broke the monopoly of AT&T
- In 1991, the company discontinued telegraph services
- In 2005, the company was rebranded as AT&T Corporation
- In 2013 AT&T announced its expansion into Western US, Latin America
- In 2013, AT&T made a revenue of $128.752 billion
- In 2014, AT&T purchased the Mexican cellular carrier lusacell
- In 2015, it purchased DirecTV
- In 2015, AT&T, became a $166 billion multinational communication leader
- In 2016, AT&T announced to acquire Time Warner for $85.4 billion
- In 2017, AT&T introduced a cloud-based DVR
- In 2018, AT& T was ranked 9th on the fortune 500 companies list
Where AT&T Stands Today?
Statement by Kim Keating, Assistant Vice-President at AT&T: “Our customers demand ‘anywhere, anytime, any device’ connectivity from AT&T, and they have that same expectation when they have a question or issue. In fact, 76% of wireless customers now prefer to resolve issues through digital channels. In response, we’ve set a goal of handling 80% of all customer transactions via digital by 2020.”
AT&T’s Contribution During The Pandemic:
On June 23, 2020, AT&T announced it would contribute around $3.5 million to California community-based organizations. The organization is providing relief to small businesses, the front-line health workers, and other underprivileged communities.
AT&T aims to provide uninterrupted telecommunication service as a huge number of white-collar professionals work from home. AT&T’s wireless usage increased by 29% at the end of March when compared to the same day of last year.