Network Security, a field in computer networking involves protecting computer network infrastructure by taking preventive measures against hacking, malfunction, destruction, or any unauthorized changes to the system. It is an organization’s strategy that consists of policies and practices to ensure security for its assets and network traffic.
Fundamentals of Network Security:
Network Security fundamentals are vital to protect the network and reduce liability. It refers to three elements known as CIA triad:
Confidentiality: Confidentiality is nothing but privacy or protecting assets from unauthorized entities. It comes with a set of rules that guarantees access to the users those who have proper authority.
Integrity: It is a method that ensures the changes or modifications handled in a specific manner. Steps are taken to note any unauthorized access and also makes sure that the data is changed only when it’s supposed to be.
Availability: Data here is available only when it is needed and in a state of the system where the authorized users have access to the said assets.
Benefits from Network Security:
- Protects data: Network security as an activity is designed to prevent any unauthorized access. It keeps a check on confidential data of clients and effectively manages access to the network.
- Prevents cyber-attack: Most of the data attacks happen over an internet and hackers are experts in conducting virus attacks. Network security can help prevent any malicious attacks that can hamper the computers.
- Centrally controlled: Network security software is different from a desktop security software and controls the whole Network instead of just a desktop.
- Centralized updates: It facilitates timely updates of anti-virus over a centralized system even without the knowledge of the individuals.
- Improved Productivity: When you are free from security breaches and network security issues, one can save on hardware and software and in turn increase productivity.
- Personalized access: Network security offers different levels of permissions allowing users to access protected personalized data and prevents from external attacks by closing them off from the internet.
Types of Network Security:
There are 5 different forms of Network Security for any kinds of business:
- Network Access Control (NAC): This system controls access as to who can access the network and who cannot. There are analytic tools like firewalls that can be used to setup and follow the behaviors of your network and block any malicious sites.
- Application Security: This offers complete security for applications so that they ensure that the flaws in the network aren’t targeted and taken advantage of. It is an essential network security tool over which may run many applications.
- Email Security: Email communication is an essential form of written communication conducted among business firms. It always gateways as the number one threat for the security breach and may as well account to data loss, phishing emails or the compromise on the security. Hence, it is critical for individuals and enterprises to take necessary measures to secure email accounts against common attacks.
- Antivirus and Antimalware Software: Antivirus software is a must to protect any malware and viruses, ransomware, Trojans or spyware that can affect the system. Malware can be dangerous and may stay in the network system for days and even months before attaching the entire system. This treats can be prevented when there is antivirus or Antimalware that can continuously scan the network.
Popular Network Security companies:
- AT&T Network Security
- IBM Security
- Check Point
- NIKSUN and more.