This infographic shows the IBM history and its timeline with some of the notable milestones dating back to 19th Century. International Business Machines (IBM) is one of the pioneer technology companies who are into manufacturing and marketing computer hardware, software, middleware and offer hosting & consulting services.
IBM Company History Timeline
- 1880: Founder Charles Ranlett Flint established Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company (Currently known as IBM).
- 1924: Thomas J. Watson, the then GM renamed CTR to IBM.
- 1949: Thomas Watson created IBM World Trade Corporation by internationally focussing on foreign operations.
- 1964 – 1970: IBM announced the first computer system family, the IBM System/360 followed by IBM System/370
- 1988: IBM introduces the IBM AS/400 (Application System/400), a new family of easy-to-use computers designed for small and intermediate-sized companies.
- 2005: IBM sold its personal computer business to ‘Lenovo’ – Chinese technology company
- 2008: IBM launched the Supercomputer called IBM Roadrunner
- 2014: IBM sold x86 to Lenovo for $2.1 billion, the same year IBM partnered with Apple Inc., Twitter, Facebook, Tencent, Cisco, UnderArmour, Box, Microsoft, VMware, CSC, Macy’s, Sesame Workshop and Salesforce.com.
- 2017: IBM Research receives 2017 Chairman’s Environmental Award